Rename the Uncategorized Category in WordPress.
Once you have installed WordPress on your web host, you will find one default post, one sample page, one comment, and one default category named “Uncategorized”.
You can delete the default post, page and comment. However, you won’t be able to delete the default category. You can’t delete as it’s the default. It’s also the only category until you create new categories.
If a blogger doesn’t select proper category, the article will be posted in default category which is ‘uncategorized’. Beleive me, it shows carelessness of the editor.
The solution to this problem is to rename this default category and be on safer side. You can rename this category to “Other”.
You still should choose proper category for all your post. However, in case you forget sometimes, it will look like that the post didn’t fit in any other category – hence “other” category.
Renaming the uncategorized category
In order to rename the default uncategorized cagtegory follow these steps:
- Logon to WordPress as Admin and go to the dashboard.
- Click on Posts -> Categories.
- Hover your mouse on “Uncategorized”. You will see that Edit option appears there.
- Click on edit. Here you can change the name of category to “Other” and the slug to “other”. Slug should be all small letters as it appears in the URL.
- Hit Update button and it’s done.